Friday, December 15, 2006

Called

(c) Staci Stallings, 2005

Twice in the last week I got called. The first was by a lady whose children are the same age as mine. This lady is someone I've admired for many years. The purpose of her call was to see if I would run for the school board of my daughters' school.

She told me the qualifications, described the job, and told me why they thought I would be good for the position. It was a very thorough offer. I listened to her, and then I listened to my heart. Make no mistake, it was flattering to be wanted. It felt good that someone would think of me for such a position. However, as I took serious stock of where I am right now and what the Holy Spirit has laid on my heart, I knew the only answer I could give her was, "No."

Two days later I got a second call. This one came from a long-time friend of mine. Although she and I had previously discussed the reason for her call, and although I had already declined at least twice, she was calling again. The offer? To join one of the women's organizations at our church.

When I said, "No, but thanks," she couldn't understand why. After all, it's only one night a month, the circle is women my own age, it's a reason to get out of the house, you can serve your community, they are really nice, and it's fun. (If I missed any of the reasons she gave me, I apologize.) Even after all of her reasons, I still said, "No." And to be honest, I still don't think she understands.

Now, please hear me loud and clear-there is nothing wrong with either of these organizations. In fact, they do a lot of great work for the community and for the church. The school board is certainly a worthwhile way to give of yourself, and women's organizations do a lot of good work in our world.

However, when I looked in my heart at this time in my life-with young children, a husband who often works out of town, and the writing ministry that God has shown me time and again He wants me to do-I simply do not feel called to the other organizations. Could I do them? Yes. Could I do them well? Yes. But in my heart I know they would be taking time away from what He really has called me to do.

There may well come a time when I do feel called to these again. After all, it wouldn't be the first time I helped out. In high school, I was an usher at church, I played guitar and sang in three choirs, I was the vice president of the youth organization, and I read in church. In short, I was involved.

On the other hand, right now, I have three children whom I shall never get this time to spend with them back. To be sure, I already miss too much time with them the way it is. It's a balance I don't always hold so well. But when I looked at these offers, and put them on the scales with their importance versus what I feel as God's call for this time in my life-namely raising my children and my writing, the children and writing won out.

Right now, I am called to be here for them, to be able to drop everything if need be if they need me. If I am tied to meetings and service projects, that would not be possible.

Is everyone called to that? No, probably not. It takes getting still long enough to listen to the whisper of the Holy Spirit in your heart to decide. When you take the time to do that, the real call will be clear-whether the phone actually rings or not.

~*~*~
Have a blessed Advent Season!

1 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Staci, thank you so much for this. I feel guilty not being involved with my children's schools or volunteering for this or that. But I have such limited time and I want to be able to spend it with them, my husband, and with my writing. Your post made me feel much better, because I truly believe that God wants me to write. Does He want me to participate in these activities? My gut says no, but next time I think about becoming involved, I shall do what you suggest - be still and listen to what the Holy Spirit wants me to do.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home